Dr. Paolo Barbier
- Quality in diagnostics echocardiography
- Clinical research
- Ongoing education
- 1981 - Graduation in Medicine at the Medical School of the State University of Milan, with votes: 110/110 cum laude
- 1983 - Graduation at the Post Graduate 1st Cardiology Specialty School of the State University of Milan, with votes: 70/70 cum laud.
- 1996- Appointed level III degree in echocardiography by the American Society of Echocardiography (ASE).
- Competence in Echocardiography certification by the Italian Society of Cardiovascular Echography.
Clinical Professional Experience
- Since 1983 staff junior then staff senior attending at the hospital Centro Cardiologico Monzino, IRCCS of Milan, Italy, with diagnostic experience in echocardiography.
- 1995-1996 - Fellow at the Echocardiography Laboratory of Prof. NB Schiller, University of California San Francisco - Moffit Hospital.
- Since 2000, full time clinical diagnostic activity in the Echocardiography Laboratory of the Centro Cardiologico (transthoracic and transesophageal including intraoperative in cardiac surgery). On call activity for emergency echocardiography.
He has created in 1988 the hospital echocardiography archival and reporting database at the Centro Cardiologico Monzino, IRCCS.
He created the original website www.echobyweb.com, then re-designed by his son (the current version)
He has planned and produced a digital MPEG-4 acquisition, archival and reporting system for the digital echocardiography laboratory, and a tele-echocardiography software based on MPEG-4 compression.
Scientific and Educational Experience
Cariology Speciality School at Fondazione Monzino di Milano
- Since 1989 Lecturer at the Cardiology Specialty School of the State University of Milan, on arguments concerning different topics in echocardiography, left ventricular systolic and diastolic function, use of Internet in cardiology.
- Since 1987 Tutor of the Cardiology Specialty School of the State University of Milan.
Cardiovascular Research Institute – University of California San Francisco
- 1995 Research Fellow at the Echocardiography Laboratory of Prof. N.B. Schiller (clinical study of left atrial function).
- 1996 Research Fellow at the animal cardiac physiopathology laboratory of Prof. S.A. Glantz (experimental studies on left atrial function and ventriculo-atrial interaction), partially funded by a National Institutes of Health (Bethesda) grant.
- 1996 Introductory course to biostatistics of Prof. S.A. Glantz.
- 1996-2005 Reviewer for the “Journal of the American College of Cardiology”.
Since 1989 instructor in the echocardiography laboratory of the Centro Cardiologico “Fondazione Monzino” of Milan, also as part of the University Cardiology Specialty Program.
He has founded in 2005 the School of Echocardiography at the Centro Cardiologico Monzino, IRCCS, in Milano
Main interest areas in the echocardiographic research field: left ventricular systolic and diastolic function; pericardial function; left atrial anatomy and function; intraoperative echocardiographic monitoring of left ventricular function; arterial hypertension; echocardiographic methodology; digital imaging and the digital echocardiography laboratory.
Author and co-author of over 50 published papers on different national and international journals and of over 250 national and international congress abstracts, mainly from personal original research projects.
He is a member of:
- National Association of Hospital Cardiologists (ANMCO)
- Italian Society of Cardiovascular Echography (SIEC).
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
- European Association of Echocardiography (EAE)